Below you’ll find a list of upcoming outdoor/sporting events in Yellowknife. Have an event you want posted here? Contact us.
The Overlander Sports Marathon, Half-Marathon and 10km run will be held on Sunday , 20 August 2017.
The marathon was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek messenger Pheidippides, sent to relay the news of the victory at the Battle of Marathon. We do our best to honour his memory.
Friday, August 18, 2017
Last day to register. Registration closes at midnight
Saturday, August 19
- Mandatory bib pick-up from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm at Overlander Sports (4909, 50th Street).
- Bibs will not be available for pickup on race day.
Sunday, August 20
Race Day at Somba Ke Civic Plaza!
- Please check-in when you arrive at the start area.
- Please arrive and sign-in between 7:30 and 7:40 for full marathon. Announcements at 7:50, event starts at 8:00.
- Please arrive and sign-in between 8:10 and 8:30 for half marathon and 10 km. Announcements at 8:50, 1/2 Marathon starts at 9:00, 10 km starts at 9:05.
- Washrooms and baggage storage will be available at the start line.
- Free sausage and salad barbecue for all participants following the event, provided by Luluz Market. Coffee provided by Coffeelicious starting at 8:30. Fruit and water will also be available.
More information is available through YK Multi Sport, here!
Family Mountain Bike Sundays!
It’s a great time of year to do something outside while other activities wind down and we transition into summer.
Kids love riding trails, learning new skills with their friends, and it’s great exercise for parents, too! Everyone is encouraged to come out for the next five Sundays for some guided mountain biking. We hope to see a big improvement in skills and confidence as the weeks progress. Rides are being geared towards kids ages 5-11 and we divide into groups based on age and skill level. Organizers will be ready to suggest routes to best meet the needs of the riders, but nothing will be too challenging for most kids who have a basic riding ability.
What you need to know:
- Meet at the Ski Club every Sunday at 10:45am from May 21st – June 18th for a ride starting at 11:00am sharp.
- You and your child will need decent quality mountain bikes, preferably with hand brakes and multiple gears (not as important for 5-6 year olds, but helpful).
- Approved cycling helmets are mandatory for all riders.
- Bring bug spray and a change of clothes if conditions are wet/muddy
- Self-sufficiency required should you have a mechanical problem such as a flat tire, etc.
- Please note that this is not an official or insured activity! This is an organized group ride, and at least one parent is required to accompany their child on a bike at all times and be responsible for their safety. It is not a drop off activity.
On June 18, this activity series will culminate with the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) “Take A Kid Mountain Biking” event, sponsored by IMBA and Overlander Sports. The windup will include a free barbecue lunch with hamburgers, hotdogs, and other assorted healthy snacks. Visit the Facebook page for details @Yellowknife Family Mountain Bike Sunday’s or contact Gary Tait directly.